Friday, September 26, 2008

Help!


I cannot believe this happened or that I am sharing this-but it is just too real life not to. I hear Preston talking and I know that everyone is in bed or gone. I think this is a little strange because he is talking like he is really having a conversation, not just like he is pretending. I go in my living room to see what he is doing. He is on the phone. I am hoping that since I did not hear the phone ring, that he just hit the redial button and is talking to Auntie Tiffy. Deep down I know that this is too good to be true.

He hands me the phone and I recognize the voice on the other end, but can't place it. I ask who this is and the man says, "Jeremy from the Sheriff's Office." My heart sank. He had called 911! I apologized and hung up.

Preston knew immediately he had done something wrong. He had the most humble look on his face that it was all I could do not to laugh. The above photo was the closest I could find to his face at this moment. I tried to be as mad/serious as I could so he would never do this again unless there was a real emergency. I may have taken it to far though. I told him that the police are coming over because he called them, this part is true. He then asked me if they were going to take him to jail-I thought for a second and said they may, we will just have to see. I told him I did not know what punishment they gave little boys who call 911 without an emergency.

He started to cry and I felt like the worst mother ever. I hugged him and said I would talk to them and tell them he promised never to call again without a real emergency. This seemed to comfort him, but I could still see the remorse and fear in his eyes. I cannot believe he did this!

This just goes to show that as parents, we have very little control over our children. I always thought I would have more influence, control or whatever you want to call it, but I am starting to realize that most of it is in my head. Nathan always says that even the best parent lost a third of His children.

2 comments:

The Burtons said...

Oh my gosh! I am waiting for this one to happen 'cause it hasn't happened yet. How crazy! What are we going to do with all these boys?!
P.S. I'm glad we can keep in touch through blogging! Also, I heard my model of houses in AJ are going for 150K right now. You guys got out at the right time.

Amy said...

AAH...even though I do know that 1/3 of the hosts of heaven followed Satan it didn't hit me like it did reading your comment! Great insight, and poor little thing...he's a cutie!