Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veterans Day

I just got back from taking my children to the parade in AJ this morning. I have never been to a parade on Veterans Day-sadly. I have many relatives who have served in the military, including my brother Garett and my father-in-law.

As I was waiting for the parade to start, many older people came to sit by us. Many of the men were veterans themselves and were wearing clothing to represent themselves. It was really neat to see them all come out.

The parade started with three jets flying overhead-low and loud (sorry Kelci). The boys were so excited! It was really neat to watch their excitement. I started to get emotional at this point and it was all down hill from there.

Leading the parade were soldiers-vets-carrying the flags. Everyone stood with their hands over their hearts as the flags passed, but what was really touching was the veterans saluted when they passed. It was the neatest thing to witness men from all different branches,scattered in the crowd, simultaneously saluting the flag.

I started thinking about the turnout present at the parade. Although it was a large crowd, it was no where near the crowds I have seen on the 4th of July. A sadness and a truth hit me as I thought about this. If it weren't for veterans, there would be no 4th of July.

I decided today that I will always make sure my children attend Veterans Day events to teach them the importance of the people who make our freedom possible. I was so impressed with all those in the crowd who would thank the veterans. I want my children to grow up with a respect for these people.

It was so refreshing to see support,regardless of political party, for our country and those who have made it what it is today. I am proud of my family who have done this as well. There was a float of wounded vets that passed with the crowd standing and thanking them. It was a beautiful site to see. To any who have served, thank you. To any who have died, you are not forgotten. To my children, I am proud to be an American!

1 comment:

Love Lorri said...

This is so sweet. I think your right...we should attend the parades and other events. Unfortunatly we dont get off on Veterans Day, we didnt get mail but the kids attended school. We had a whole week off last week, but they couldnt bother to give us off for veterans day. There was really no reason to have off last week either (dont get me wrong we enjoyed it). I will definatly be at a celebration of some sorts next year!