Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Just a few stories

Alright,

Terra and I often mention how we need to write certain funny stories down or even just funny phrases or comments that people make. So tonight I have thought of a couple older stories that I feel are worthy of posting.

When I was on my mission, we went to a members house for dinner. My companion and I were chatting with the father and son about missionary stories. The father had served a mission too and so all three of us were sharing stories. The son had a question after his dad made mention of the MTC. He asked why the church would send you to an "MTC"? The father explained that the MTC was the place the missionaries would learn the discussions and any languages etc. We all began to tell stories again and a few minutes later the son, probably sixteen years of age, asked, "yeah, but why an MTC"? The dad gave some kind of explanation to his son and we began to talk again and for the third time he asked the same question. By this time we were almost frustrated by the simple question. So I used my "finding skills" to determine his struggle in understanding the MTC and it turns out he thought we were saying "empty sea". He couldn't figure out any logical reason why the church would send the missionaries to an empty sea rather than some other logical place, like a building in provo or something.

Here is another one that I hope my brother Len remembers and I hope he doesn't mind me sharing. After we had purchased our first home here in the valley, my brother Len had flown into town and came by to visit and see our new place. As He, my wife and I were walking along the path to the front door, he stops us and while pointing down at the small little cactus, asked us, "when is that palm tree going to start growing"? I wish I could tell you what kind of cactus it was, and to his defense, it did have a palmy kind of look to it.

Alright, my last one for tonight. I hope I don't offend anyone by this story. I know Amy Holly was asked to remove a post by a close friend because it made them uncomfortable. So, I hope we don't have the same friends. No, not really, but I hope everyone can laugh at the story because it is true as can be and Tiffany and some nurse in Show Low can testify. ---- A little background. when Terra was in labor with Preston, all she wanted me to do was massage her legs. It was the only time she yelled at me. I made the mistake of asking her if I was massaging hard enough and she yelled back, "don't ask me any questions!". Other than that, she was very pleasant with all three of her deliveries. Anyway, when we were at the Show Low hospital ready to start labor with Tracen. Tiffany, Terra, the very nice nurse and I were visiting amongst ourselves and I went ahead and told the story of when she yelled at me during Preston's birth but also explained that if my life depended on it, she surely couldn't find the strength to message me very strongly, because she has very weak hands. Terra confirmed this statement about her weak hands by saying "I AM a weenie rubber". The nurse turned red but tried to pretend she didn't hear it. Tiffany started laughing and then we all were laughing. I must say my wife never ceases to surprise me. I love her to death.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

oh my gosh, I still laugh SO hard everytime I tell anyone or think of that story! It was truly the funniest thing ever! It also goes on that Terra was laughing SO hard her water broke... remember that?? LOL

Tinney Tribe! said...

that is so Funny about Terra making that comment! Took me a minute to get the rubber part. But I laughed out loud when my slow mind got it! =)

Amanda said...

oh Jeez, poor Terra :0) That sounds like an Aunt Terra thing to say though ;0)