Wednesday, February 25, 2009

How Lucky I REALLY Am!

I have been really stressed out about finances lately and what the future holds; me of little faith I suppose. Then I witnessed this.

I was headed to work today and had to stop by the post office first. Thinking it would take the usual amount of time I left thirty minutes earlier than I needed. I ended up with a lot of time left so I went and ate at Taco Bell. I decided to go in, since I needed to kill a little time.

As I sat and ate, a guy came in and asked the clerk for an application. I looked up and saw a guy who appeared to be in his late 40's to early 50's. The lady said they were all out and he left. I watched his discouraged face leave and noticed him get on a bicycle and ride away.

My heart sank for this guy. Humbled to the point of riding a bike to Taco Bell in hopes of trying to get a job there. I am struggling, for my standards, but I still have a lot to be grateful for. I have my home, not in foreclosure; enough food to eat; two cars and only one payment; renters; and a decent paying job, just to name a few.

Nathan keeps telling me to have more faith and that things will be okay. I guess since I couldn't just take his advice, I had to figure it out on my own. I seriously wanted to cry for this man-I should change my attitude and learn from this experience.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Thanks for sharing. We are so much better off than we could be. The one that always gets me, is how many people we have surrounding us who care about us. So many people don't have that. Thanks for the reminder.

The Burtons said...

It is such a humbling time for everyone. Every time I turn around I hear about how someone else is barely making it, or not making it. I'm always complaining about how time consuming Paul's job is, and how I WISH we could live in the Valley instead of PV, but I also need to remind myself to be GRATEFUL! Plus, after everything, even if you had no money at least I have my health. I keep hearing about babies with cancer, and oh, I'm so lucky to not be dealing with that!